Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

homemade pumpkin spice latte


Here is a true story for you: the nearest Starbucks to our town is 45 minutes away.  It's a jaunt.  And even then, it's inside a grocery store, so does that even count?  I know, this is quite the privileged, suburbanite problem.  And usually it's not a big deal.  But when the pumpkin spice lattes came into season, I felt a stab of envy every time I heard anyone talk about them, or post pictures of them on instagram.  Soooo, I experimented with some homemade concoctions!  I had fun, and I found a very tasty substitution for the real deal.  It may even be a little better.  But I can't tell for sure because I have YET to have the real thing this season (boo-hoo).  I do know that it saved me some pennies, so that's a plus!  If you don't have a Starbucks near you, or don't want to change out of your jammies to enjoy one, or if you're just saving your pennies, here's my solution for all you pumpkin spice latte lovers!

2 cups milk
1 cup espresso or double brewed coffee
4 T canned pumpkin
2 T sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 T vanilla extract
1/2 t cinnamon (plus more for garnish)
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/8 t cardamom
optional: whipped cream for garnish
note: you can substitute all the spices for similar amount of pumpkin pie spice (I use a. lot. of spices so adjust to taste)
serves 2-4

Heat the milk, sugar and pumpkin on the stovetop until steaming.  NOT boiling.  If you have a milk steamer, then you have more space in your kitchen than I do, and I'd like to move in with you.
 Take off the heat, and add the vanilla and spices.  At this point you can use a blender, immersion blender, or just a whisk to froth it a bit.  I used my whisk to save on cleanup. 
Fill your cups 1/3 way with hot double strength coffee or espresso, and fill the rest with the milk-pumpkin mixture.  Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top!  My littles loved drinking the milk-pumpkin mixture without the coffee of course.  I never thought pumpkin milk would be a hit, but it was!
 Or add a little whipped cream on top.  Of course sprinkle with cinnamon!
I'm currently enjoying one with the pumpkin spice muffins I made with the leftover canned pumpkin.  Pumpkin spice forever!!

6 comments:

  1. I was just craving a pumpkin spiced latte! Good timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - seems totally yummy, now I crave it!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah! You are a barista for sure! Nice job! I'd love to try it. Fun to see Fletcher in his pumpkin hat too from yesterday's blog. I remember getting those for the little guys around my wedding. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes please! I will definately take one if those. Yum fall toasty beverages :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you pine for such drinks... congrats on making your own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuuuummmmmmmm. I am looking forward to having this!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!