Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Irish soda bread

Ok, so this isn't actually TRADITIONAL Irish soda bread, but it is soda bread, it's easy, and it's hands down the tastiest I've ever had (no offense to any Irish grannies out there).  Soda bread is really quick to throw together, and can be modified in countless ways, so it's just a good base recipe, too!  The hallmarks of traditional Irish soda bread are the baking soda, caraway seeds, and raisins.  Also it usually calls for buttermilk, but I use sour cream here.  A lot of sour cream.  So the bread is dense but creamy, and really moist.  Thinking about throwing a St. Paddy's party?  Then whip this up.  It disappears quickly.  I always do a loaf with raisins and one without.

THIS RECIPE CONTAINS FLOUR AND SUGAR.  I MAKE NO APOLOGIES.

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 T caraway seeds
3/4 cup raisins
2 eggs
2 cups sour cream
makes one loaf, about 10 to 12 servings

Preheat your oven to 350.  Combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
Whisk the eggs and sour cream together, and then fold into the flour mixture.
Don't worry about over working it into a ball of dough.  This isn't a yeast bread!  In fact, it will seem a little loose, but just pile it into a 9 inch round pan, and don't worry about it.  You'll need to grease your pan, and I recommend a springform pan.  I recently geeked out over springform pans thanks to the folks at America's Test Kitchen.  I'm really wanting the highest rated pan (with a glass bottom!!) but I'm having a hard time justifying the price tag when my current pans are just fine.  Anyway...plunk your loose dough into whatever round pan you may have.
Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, until your toothpick comes out clean.
Your home will smell seriously delicious.
It's really good eaten fresh from the oven, but it keeps pretty well for a couple days.  Toasted with a bit of butter is always a good way to go!  We're pretty big fans in our house, and Rowan finished off about 1/4 a loaf before I cut her off.  Soda bread junky, that one.
Happy eating, friends!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful looking bread! I really need to get into breadmaking! :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is gorgeous, and what a great tutorial too! I feel like even someone like me could manage this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I never knew about the caraway seeds! I've tasted lots of Irish soda breads before, I don't know why I never noticed that! You learn something every day. That looks delicious! And I like your chef's license to use sour cream, I bet that really makes it top notch! I will have to try this one. Rowan, save me some!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love soda bread and your's looks awesome. I totally can't believe St. Patrick's Day is almost here... I sure hope it warms up for all the crazies here in Boston ;)

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!