Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

just like p.f. chang's lettuce wraps

Um, kind of just like.  Don't take it too literally.  But they are really good, so no worries.  I make these every so often, and we eat them fast.  Fletcher's not too big of a fan, but Rowan devoured them!  Yum!  I made these over a month ago, but I keep putting this post on the back burner (haha, no pun intended!).  But I recently got a request for a food post (this one's for you, Karen) so I'm breaking it out now.

You will need:
tofu or cooked diced chicken (I use tofu here)
1/2 c chopped carrots
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 medium onion
1 can water chestnuts- chopped
soy sauce
lime juice (fresh or bottled)
sesame oil OR olive oil
1/2 t corn starch
cilantro
ginger (fresh or powdered)
red pepper flakes
big lettuce leaves (like bibb or romaine)


Obviously, as a vegetarian, I like the tofu.  But I know that some people love the chicken lettuce wraps, so you know, go ahead a do whatever you want.  But if you use tofu, I highly recommend the super firm tofu that's already been cubed.  Saves time, you know!  Plus the texture of the super firm is perfect for this dish.  And if you think you don't like tofu, you should try this kind.  It's pretty awesomely delicious when properly seasoned.


Get your carrots, celery, onion, and water chestnuts chopped up.  Then line them up so they look pretty.


Warm a couple tablespoons of oil in your trusty cast iron skillet.  Pour the above veggies into the skillet and cook until nicely browned.  Then pour your tofu or chicken (already cooked) in with the veggies and brown that up a little too.


Add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of soy sauce, and a couple dashes of red pepper flakes.  Or to taste depending upon how much you love soy sauce and red pepper flakes.  I just keep tasting and adjusting- I don't measure anything usually.  Stir in the corn starch.


Turn your heat down to your lowest low, and then walk out to your garden to find some cilantro.  I was suprised by cilantro showing up in my herb garden this year since I didn't actually plant it.  But up it came, and I was so happy to have it while it lasted!  Also pick some big lettuce leaves while you're out there.  My lettuce is gone by now, too.  Hot weather is not a lettuce's friend.  It was all great while it lasted.  Oh, you could also buy the cilantro and lettuce at the store if you don't have spontaneous miracle herbs growing in your garden.   Chop up your cilantro and throw that in the pan, too.



Once the mixture's liquid is cooked down, you're ready to eat it... yay!  I did not have fresh limes at the time, so I did pour some bottled key lime juice over the whole mixture.  But if you have fresh limes, it's great to serve them in slices with the meal so everyone can squeeze their own over their dish.  Plop some of the mixture in the middle of a big lettuce leaf.  My leaf here is bibb.



Fold the leaf around the mixture like a leaf taco, and eat up!



Please excuse my pink pudgy paw.  Be sure to have a fork handy so you can eat all the delicousness that falls out.  Now you can cancel the babysitter and stay in instead of eating out at P.F. Changs!  Just kidding.  Don't do that.  That would be insane.  But these are a close second if you can't get to a P.F. Changs soon.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Delicious!!! They look just like the originals! Oh, lettuce wraps...you are one of my most favorite foods! Thank you for this, R!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!