Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

homemade coffee creamer

While my parents were visiting last month, my mom took it upon herself to read the labels of all my favorite prepackaged, processed foods and point out all the awful chemicals that I have been ingesting.  Thanks, mom!  Seriously though, I have been trying to cut down on the prepackaged stuff around here.  We've been eating more "whole" foods, and trying to stay away from preservatives and chemicals.  But I just couldn't give up my creamer, ok?  Especially that Cinnabon creamer.  And if you look at the label on store bought creamer, it reads like the fine print on toxic waste.  If toxic waste had fine print.

So, ok mom.  I will try and find a recipe that is non-toxic.  I found one here that used a basic recipe, and then you can add in whatever flavorings you enjoy.  So I made mine cinnamon vanilla flavored.  And it is so much better than the store bought variety!

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cup milk, half and half, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or cream
2 t. vanilla extract
1 to 2 T cinnamon

First pour all the ingredients into a large bowl or jar.  I used a jar so that I could put the lid on and shake it well instead of stirring.
Shake (or stir) well.  If you have the time, it's good to let the mixture sit in the fridge for about an hour to let the cinnamon permeate the creamer.  Pour into another bowl through a mesh strainer.  I lined mine with cheesecloth to get the extra grit of the cinnamon out.
Even with the cheesecloth there will be cinnamon still in there, which is good.  Because it's supposed to be cinnamon flavored.  But it won't be gritty at all.  We all want a creamy creamer, right?  I just have this thing about not drinking crunchy coffee.
Pour it back into the container of your choice, and store it in the fridge.  I've been making  it every Sunday and it lasts about a week.  Sometimes less because I like to use it in iced coffee, too.  It will technically be good for as long as the milk you use in it is good.  Check your expiration dates.
I think it would be so good with coconut milk, I might try that next!  Or I might try my hand at salted caramel flavor... I really love a splash of creamer in my coffee, can you tell?

16 comments:

  1. Great idea! I also love figuring out I can make something easily that I've always just purchased at the store, especially when it turns out tastier and simpler/more natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Even though it takes more time, it can be so satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Smart mom! Very interesting recipe. I love the idea of trying it with coconut milk. I buy an expensive coconut creamer. Maybe I can make my own!

    Have a wonderful weekend Ruthie!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking about you when I was making this, and thinking that I bet it could be made vegan with coconut milk and almond milk. What a yummy sounding mixture, eh?

      Delete
  3. I love this Ruthie! It's a great change to make, although sometimes not the most convenient. I try to eat as "natural" as possible. Especially because I enjoy fermented grapes. And moldy cheese. Your creamer looks delicious and easy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up, K. I enjoy those fermented grapes and moldy cheese, too!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds really good. I'm totally that annoying person who looks at ingredients. I never heard of creamer until I started work and I used to harass my friend / coworker about how odd it was frequently. At one point she had a kind that was crystals that didn't get refrigerated... you should have seen what was in that! Your home-made version sounds much more tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty horrid what they put in that stuff!

      Delete
  5. Sounds good, I´ll try it! Enjoy your weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so stinkin delicious! Salted caramel sounds like a hit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LIVE for salted caramel. Which is why my pants shrunk, I think.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely idea for a party treat! I drink my regular coffee straight, so to speak, but can totally see this as a charming option for guests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! My black coffee drinking hubby loves the creamer, though ;)

      Delete
  8. That sounds really delicious. Even though I usually don't have a sweet tooth, I make an exception for cinnabon related items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to try this! I am in the same boat as you... trying to eat more whole foods and less pre-packaged stuff. I even went through my pantry and tossed a bunch of stuff! But I just can't give up my Cinnabon creamer... it just makes my morning happy. Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!