Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

crafts... er, art? maybe both!

I've been busy.  No, not packing.  That would be silly to actually do any packing with only a week to go before we move.  Silly.  I work best under pressure.  Actually, I'm not sure that I do, but it's the only way I've ever done anything.  I should join a 12 step program for procrastination.  Maybe I'll get around to it someday.  Heh.

So I've been busy being crafty.  What is it about that word that conjures up little old ladies making doilies in their rocking chairs?  I would say I've been busy making ART, but that's not REALLY how I would categorize what I've been doing.  You let me know how to label it all, okey dokey? 

Here's the onesie I embroidered for my cousin's new baby, Eliza.  Don't you love that name?  So cute.  I love doing these baby onesies. 


And I finally finished the painting for Rowan's room that I had started back last winter.  See?  Procrastination.  It was my first endeavor into mixed media painting, and it's my new favorite.  I think I'll make a billion more of these because it was so fun and so easy to do in pieces.  I drew a lot of inspiration and instruction from Kelly Rae


The pretty afghan was a wedding present made by my mom.  Who is very crafty herself.

I stamped Rowan's name on the little flags, which were inspired by the awesome pennant flags that my friend, Kelly (also super crafty), made for Rowan's birthday.  They hang in her room and look so pretty there, so I thought it would be cool to echo them in this painting.


I added rose petals from a bouquet of roses Brian had gotten me before we were even married.  Eons ago.  I had pressed them, and they were just sitting in a box, waiting to be shown some love.  Here you go, rose petals!  Love. 


I wanted to add in things that would be special to Rowan later like the rose petals.  I added a couple pages from a vegetarian recipe book that belonged to one of my grandmothers.  Not that I think Rowan will be vegetarian, more that it was something passed down to her from past generations.



Sweet rice delight sounds gross to me.  Which is why I felt ok tearing it out of an old cookbook.  I layered all sorts of papers all over, and then painted the birdies over them to go with the birdie bedding in Rowan's room.  I like how imperfect and layered it all looks.  I like to think its imperfections make it charming.  That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.



There is also a postcard with a picture from the Book of Kells as a nod to the Celtic roots of Rowan's name.



Now do I hang it up in her room, or put it in the pile to be packed?  I think I'll hang it up so there is more to do later.  Cause that's how I roll.


3 comments:

  1. If that's not the cutest most special keepsake I've seen for your little girl, I don't know what is!! I love how you preserved those pieces for your daughter. I teared up a little. Beautiful job, crafty mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That painting is BEAUTIFUL! And your blog is hilarious. *following!*

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!