Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

giving it away

We have a bit of a toy problem.  I like to blame 2 sets of doting grandparents, but Brian and I share in the blame, also.  We always start Christmas with a couple toys on the list for the littles, and then we just end up adding too much when we go shopping.  We are trying to do it differently this year.  We've agreed on Santa bringing one gift, and one small gift from us for each kiddo.  And a few stocking stuffers, of course.  And between the grandparents, aunts and uncles, godparents and friends, we'll still end up with toy overload around here come Christmas morning.  The excess is a bit embarrassing.  And probably not the best example for our littles.  So this year, I brought out a few big cardboard boxes, and I tried to explain to Fletcher and Rowan that there are some children in this world without toys and books.  It was a difficult thing to explain, and although I think Fletcher understands that there are kids without anything out there, it is nearly impossible to explain WHY.  How do you explain WHY another child goes without when we have SO MUCH here?  It's a heart-wrenching truth to explain to your child.

I was so proud when both the littles went to task on putting toys into the boxes cheerfully.  Fletcher was offering up some his more dear toys, so I made sure to explain again that he would never see these toys again, and that they would live with another boy somewhere.  He completely understood, and was adamant about giving away some of the toys he still loves.  He's a pretty special boy.  Rowan did not understand as well, and was just throwing in anything that she picked up.  I just let her, and then culled out the boxes before finishing for anything I thought she'd really miss.  They both were ecstatic when we filled 3 big boxes full of toys, and wanted to add more.  And we will!  We've cleared out a lot of space right before Christmas, and we may need to do it again after Christmas.
And now it's my turn!  I have a lot to give away myself.  I may be guilty of a little thrifting problem, and I have an excess of stuff around here.  And I think the littles seeing me give away my things is even more important than teaching them to give away their own belongings.  

8 comments:

  1. We are in total purge mode over here as well. Neither Sam nor Molly "gets" it yet, so I just take the liberty of deciding which toys they don't like and give them away! I am such a wonderful mother. And sadly, I am The Evil One who puts restrictions on the grandparents when it comes to holiday giving. They're allowed to give one (one!) toy per child. (The kids get 3 Christmas gifts total. Like Baby Jesus. Who Molly can't stop eating out of the nativity scene.) I'm sure I'll encounter some resistance when they're old enough to know otherwise, but for now, I'm loving the total ignorance.

    And sweet sweet Fletcher, I just wanna hug that boy's neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That´s great, I do that with my boys too - it´s important to remind both them and ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, Mama! That process sounds so much more meaningful than the frantic OCD cleaning I did a few weeks ago. The upside is that they really do enjoy playing with toys more when there's less of them. Well. At least for a little while. You make me feel all full of Holiday Cheer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dreading the overload of toys we are due on Christmas (so close to the birthday too!). I've tried to donate toys, but actually can't find any place willing to accept them. Clothes and books are taken by the salvation army, but they won't take toys. I hate throwing them away :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great storage wall! We (Okay, me) cleaned out a bunch of toys recently too. I just kind of lost it and packed up bags and bags one night after they were in bed. There's just SO MUCH. And Andrew hasn't asked about a single toy I packed up. I don't think he even noticed. Now that's embarrassing. I've tried to hold it down a bit this Christmas. It's hard though when I see so much that I'm sure he'll love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are only 2 gifts for Jackie under our tree. I think that's plenty. What does a baby need anyway? Plus, like you said, granparents and everyone else do the work, that sounds good to me. Sometimes less IS more. Except for me, if you're reading this Phil. I like more. :) Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. Especially your last few sentences. They do watch us, don't they? And they see what we do with our things... so we can model selfishness or selflessness, it's all up to us. Whoah, heavy thoughts for a Friday...

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!