Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

adventure!

Brian has wanderlust in his soul.  I have it too, but only for so long before I long for my own bed.  I'm a home body at my core.  I just happen to also love traveling.  So Brian can't sit still when the weekend rolls around.  Even if I decree a "home" weekend to relax and get chores done, Brian will volunteer to take the kids off my hands for a few hours.  And I always agree, because I can never get too much of a quiet house.

Last weekend Brian packed the car with snacks, a change of clothes, and a Missouri map. I asked how long they were going to be gone.  And where?  He shrugged for an answer.  Kisses, hugs, and a see you later, and they were off.  They came home about 8 hours later.  Tired, happy, hungry.  And when I downloaded the pictures that Brian took, I saw that they had a beautiful adventure.  Somewhere in the Missouri wilds.
{all photos by my dear husband, Brian}
I was almost sad I missed it.  Almost.

12 comments:

  1. 8 hours, wow! What a great day trip. That is exactly the kind of thing they will be so glad they have in their memory bank later on. Brian has the adventure bug, and he's weaving it into his childrens' fabric--I love it!!
    P.S. I'm glad you got to have some quiet time though. Nothing beats that. Coffee, cleaning, maybe some reading. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for them - and good for you to have some peace at home, it´s a win-win. Sometimes, all one wants to hear is silencccccccce..! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures are great, Brian! I am sure they were exhausted. That looks like some rocky terrain! Glad you were able to have some quiet time. It sounds like it was a great day, all around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a beautiful place, and 8 hours is a long time. I think I would be both delighted by the silence... and a little worried :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing dad!! Looks like a beautiful trip for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pic of Fletcher on the mossy rock. Who knows the stories Brian was feeding them about the magic in those woods!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That man's a keeper. Also, Rowan's got some sass with that little ponytail! I love it! Looks like they had a fun time exploring together. Hope you got a lot accomplished at home (like resting and drinking coffee and napping and other things that we mothers love to do).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful hiking country. Reminds me a little of the long hikes through the dunes. We didn't have those wonderful rock formations though. Do you remember?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is touching. What a beautiful thing...and a lovely man. I wouldn't feel bad about missing it. Imagine how much those kids will cherish that time spent just with daddy. And he took pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a memory!! Gorgeous country & phenomenal pics-- good job Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I think we ended up somewhere very similar today with our boys! Woods adventures are the best! And I have no idea where we were. Somewhere about 30 miles southwest of St. Louis in some park. Looks like they had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that he's happy to take them out on adventures and that you get a quiet house! Everyone wins! These photos made me miss the rugged Ozarks a bit and I just keep seeing the similarities in our kids. What did you do with your alone time at home?!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!