Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

green tea oatmeal + blood oranges

I was never a huge fan of oatmeal as a kid.  I would eat it, it just was not my favorite by far.  But all the additions I've come to use as an adult have made me a complete convert!  I love oatmeal now, especially in the winter.  And my favorite kind by far is the steel cut oats.  So much more substance and flavor than the rolled oats for some reason.  This morning I made my usual bowl of oatmeal, but decided on an unusual twist.  I cooked the oatmeal in tea steeped hot water.  Green tea to be exact.  Constant Comment green tea to be even MORE exact.  Green tea is so very good for you, and gives you an extra jolt of caffeine.  At the end I added a whole blood orange, and drizzled it all with honey.  Simple and delicious!  Here is my easy (very easy) recipe for one serving of oatmeal.

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 serving green tea
1 blood orange (or grapefruit, or clementines- any citrus will work)
1 T honey

optional milk or cream
1 serving

First boil your water, with the tea bag (or tea infuser).  Add your oatmeal, and turn the heat down to low.  Continue cooking and stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.  Take out the tea after the first 5 minutes.
When oatmeal is cooked, add chopped orange, drizzle with honey, and add a splash of milk or cream if you'd like.  I'm a fan of a splash of milk in mine.  That's it!  Constant Comment has a spiced orange flavor that I thought tasted wonderful in this.
Enjoy!  Breakfast is important, my friends.

8 comments:

  1. That is beyond clever!! A real slap the forehead and wonder why I didn't think of it-- brilliant & on the breakie menu for Saturday!! Pinning it to my hungry pin board too lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good use for those tart oranges. I bet the sweet and sour is really delicious! You're so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McCann's is the best! That looks so hearty and satisfying. And try it in the crock pot too for that yummy goodness in easy format. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay we've been shopping at the same store! We have lots of those oranges too. Great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have a love affair with in-season citrus. And you're so welcome!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like an awesome combination- yummy yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh! This sounds like such a cool idea. I need to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious Ruthie. I love the green tea idea. And blood oranges are so yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!