Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

feed the birds

The other day Fletcher and I made pine cone birdfeeders.  I wasn't going to blog about it, but then a friend mentioned she had never made them as a child when I told her about them.  So this one goes out to all you poor people that were deprived as children!  I personally made all sorts of things out of pine cones, thanks to girl scouts and to the pine trees in my parent's yard.  Stay tuned for pine cone Christmas trees!  There are quite a few pine trees out here in South Carolina, and we filled two grocery bags with them on our walk earlier this week.

Ok, so you will need pine cones (of course), peanut butter, bird seed (duh) and something to tie them up.  I used my trusty twine.

First you want to tie the twine around the pine cone and knot it.

Then scoop out a generous amount of peanut butter into a bowl or plate.  You don't want to keep dipping your spatula back into the jar after it's been rubbing against a dirty pine cone.

Then use your spatula to spread the peanut butter on the pine cone.  A light touch is needed here.

Then just roll it around in the seeds!  I found it easier to spread the pb on one side, lay it in the seeds, and then spread the other side. 

Fletcher really enjoyed the seed part.  He really got into sprinkling the seeds into all the crevices.

I used our roll of art paper as the base for this little craft so it would be easier to clean up.

Another great buy from Ikea!  Anyway, we made five since we had so many pine cones.

Then go hang your new birdfeeder up!


We're still waiting to see birds, but we have seen quite a few squirrels trying to figure out how to get to them!

A quick and easy little project to do with your littles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!