Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

diy painted beach bag

I recently picked up a cute enough, yet somewhat boring beach bag from Goodwill.  It was originally from Target, still new with tags.  I kept looking at it, trying to figure out what to do with it, and not wanting to commit much time to transforming it.  I finally realized I could quickly paint it using a little triangle template/stencil.  Fun and graphic!  If you'd like your own fun painted beach bag, you'll need:
1. beach bag
2. paint colors in your choice (I chose bright summery colors)
3. brush or paint sponge
4. wax paper

First you'll need to draw a triangle in the wax paper.  I wasn't very exact with this, but if you're a math person, go ahead and measure exactly (you control freak).
Cut it out.  I used an exacto knife on a cutting mat.
Make the same amount of stencils as your paint colors.  I used 4 colors, so I made 4 different triangle stencils.  Now for the fun part- the painting!  Start your stencil anywhere on the bag.  I did not have a plan, but a haphazard pattern emerged anyway.
Holding your stencil down firmly with one hand, start your painting!  I patted my brush over the stencil instead of brushing it across.  This helps keep it from bleeding out.
Ta-da!  Your first triangle!  It's exciting, no?  I had a helper who was very excited, so I guess I was feeding off of his energy.  He also did his own painting while I worked.
Here is my work in progress and my mini-Matisse's work, too.
You can be as precise or as random as you'd like with your stencil.  Have fun, it's just a beach bag!  But a pretty beach bag once you're finished.
I like how this turned out so much, I think this will be my go-to tote for the summer, not *just* my beach bag!  Happy painting, friends.

8 comments:

  1. that's a cheerful little satchel! and i love the picture of it with the towels near the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing ,the Colours are beautiful in Combination with the natural-Shades of the Bag! Mini Matisse did a great work too :)

    Lovely Greetings from VIenna ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore your color choices-- perfect sherbert-y summer shades. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pool bag. I love it. I love Fletcher's painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you are giving Isaac Mizrahi a run for his money! I think you have always been a designer and you did a marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cool- I love the colors that you chose and I'm always a fan of geometric prints. Looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so good, Ruthie!! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous! I'd love it if you'd drop by my international linky party and add this (and more if you like) to the party, you'll most certainly win a feature! hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!