Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

scotch eggs

Brian made his own Father's Day breakfast the other day.  Mostly because he really wanted Scotch Eggs and I really won't make them!  Anything involving sausage and deep fat frying is not exactly my cup of tea (hello, vegetarian).  So Scotch Eggs are basically hard boiled eggs, wrapped in bulk sausage, rolled in bread crumbs and deep fat fried.  Blech.  I mean, yum!  Obviously invented by big, sturdy Scotsmen who needed a good breakfast before going out to herd sheep or something. 

If you are in need of a good, hearty breakfast (or snack) you'll need the following:

5 hard boiled eggs
16 oz package bulk sausage (Brian likes to use the sage flavored)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs (Brian uses Panko)
oil as needed for your own fryer (if making on your stove top, use enough oil to float the scotch eggs)
brown mustard and/or ranch for dipping
serves 5

First take a fifth of the sausage and create a little pocket for the egg.
Tuck your egg inside and work the sausage all the way around until your egg is completely covered in sausage.
Take the sausage covered eggs and roll them in your beaten egg.
Then roll in your breadcrumbs until completely coated.
Heat your oil to about 300, making sure not to go OVER 300.
Fry the eggs for about 10 to 15 minutes, rolling them over halfway with tongs.  It apparently helps the cooking to drink a beer while wearing your silly, I mean, awesome cowboy hat.
Serve up with brown mustard for dipping!  We also tried out ranch dressing, and that seemed to go over well with the littles.  We cut them into quarters, but you can eat them whole if you'd like!
 Everyone enjoyed the delicious cholesterol fest, and I was surprised at how much the littles liked them.  And then I remembered how Rowan gobbled up an entire Scotch egg at a Scottish festival last summer. 
So it's been love at first bite for her.


3 comments:

  1. I´ve never heard of that but now I´m darn curious to try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I won't be whipping these up either- but they do look beautiful and I'm impressed with the cooking expertise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is beyond excited lol {guess we'll be trying this out soon}

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!