Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

littles mini-trip

Fletcher has been asking (i.e. begging) a lot lately for a visit to a train museum.  We used to live near a wonderful train museum in Illinois, and in South Carolina there was a small one we would visit.  So I'm sure in his mind, there must be one near by!  But the closest is over 2 hours away.  He was particularly begging hard last Saturday, while Brian was out fishing.  So I gave in an inch and told him we could go up to Jefferson City and watch the trains as the train station.  He agreed that would be acceptable.  By jumping up and down and saying, "oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!"

So we went to the train station.  Without my DSLR.  So enjoy my crappy cell phone pictures, okey-dokey?
It was a lovely day, so we had a great time sitting in the shade, watching the trains go by.  We've visited the historic train station before, but the museum has always been closed.  This was the first time it was open, so we ducked in for a (very) quick look.  It was small, but the littles had fun looking at all the antique transportation devices.  But as soon as we heard a train rumbling by, the littles darted back outside to watch. 
An hour and 3 trains later, we all were a bit hungry, so we went off to a quick lunch to Chipotle.  And the littles were so good!  Sometimes it can be a challenge eating out with them, especially when Brian is not around, so this was a nice surprise.  I patted myself on the back and rewarded us all with a trip to Target!  Hooray!
And after?  We were all tired and ready for a nap.  So we drove over an hour back home after a quick but satisfying trip for us all.  Sometimes a mini-trip is all you need to uplift the troops.  I know a trip to Target is always uplifting to me.  Ha!

How do you hit the reset button when everyone just seems cranky and weary of the day to day?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like a fun day - you sure can pat yourself on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put them to bed. ;) Even the kids know, if it is any time after 6 pm and they are getting on our nerves, bed time is threatening. Cute pics, btw. I think they look great, cell phone or not! How sweet that they love the trains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We find water. The sprinkler, a splash park, or even a bath seems to help everyone get a reset in our house. Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun- Target works for me too, especially if I get the rare pleasure of going alone! For Wyatt I get outside if it's nice and go somewhere like the library if it's rainy. Change of pace always helps.

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!