Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

strawberry rhubarb pie + crumb topping

Hi summer.  I like your produce.  I might love it a little.  And it's the time of year that I especially love to make pies.  Our favorite pie is strawberry rhubarb.  The sweetness of the strawberry with the tartness of the rhubarb is a perfect combination.  I also tend to prefer crumb toppings rather than another layer of pie crust.  There is something irresistible about the sweet crunch of a crumb topping!  If you're in love with your produce you'll have to make this too.

First I want to say that I am not above a store bought crust, but when I have time, I make a quick and easy pie crust.  I'm still practicing, and I sure can't make my crust pretty yet, but I'll get there if I keep at it!  I use Martha Stewart's pie crust recipe with the apple cider vinegar.  The apple cider vinegar makes a difference in the flakiness.  Here is her recipe:

Crust:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
  • 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 2 tablespoons ice-cold water, plus more as needed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar

Make the crust: Place flour, butter, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an *electric mixer. Transfer bowl to freezer for 20 minutes. Remove bowl from freezer and attach to mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until mixture resembles a coarse meal, about 2 minutes. 
In a small glass measuring cup, combine ice water and vinegar. With the mixer on low, slowly add just enough water mixture to flour mixture so that it comes together into shaggy clumps. If all the liquid is used and dough still doesn't hold together, add additional cold water, 1 teaspoon at a time. Take care not to over mix.
Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap; shape into a 5-inch disk and wrap. Transfer to refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days.
*On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into a 12 1/2-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Tuck excess dough under edges to create a double thickness and a smooth edge; pinch every 2 inches to create a decorative edge. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes.
*I personally don't use a mixer on crust.  I use a pastry cutter.  And only a pastry cutter.
*I roll out the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap.  Less flour needed, and the dough stays together better.
See?  It ain't pretty.  But it's a crust. 

For your filling and topping, you'll need the following (adapted from Martha Stewart's pie recipe):

Filling
2 1/2 cups halved and quartered strawberries
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cardamom

Crumb topping
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 T cold butter, cut into chunks
3 T packed brown sugar
3/4 t ground ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/8 t coarse salt

Preheat your oven to 350.  Chop up your strawberries and rhubarb.
Add the flour.
Add the sugar.
Add the cinnamon.
And add the cardamom.  If you don't have cardamom, it can be omitted.  I just adore cardamom in just about anything.  I think it's a great accompaniment with cinnamon.
Toss ingredients gently, coating your fruit evenly.
Set aside, and grab a bowl to make your crumb topping.  Measure in your flour.
Add your granulated sugar and brown sugar.
Cut in the butter.
 Add the salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
Mix all together, using a pastry cutter, until it resembles a coarse meal.
Get your chilled pie crust and pour your fruit mixture in.
Add your crumb topping, patting down lightly.
Bake for an hour and 15 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned, and the mixture is bubbling.  Take out and cool for at least 1/2 hour. 
I hope you enjoy the fruits of summer.  I didn't take any pictures of the pie sliced since we took it over to our neighbor's house last night.  But it wasn't runny at all, and it was absolutely delicious.  Next pie will be blackberry, I think.  Stay tuned!


7 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! We have the great pie top debate in my family- my mom loves crumb, my cousin goes for lattice, and I'm a traditionalist and love that top crust :) Sort of like arguing over pancakes and waffles- you can't go wrong! Looking forward to blackberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO delicious! I love summer fruit too. I can count on one hand the number of times I have made pies, though. I guess the crust intimidates me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good...I just had strawberry-rhubarb pops at our local farmers market. It's a hard combination to beat! I'm going to make this over the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks super good, I love pies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay! My mom adores rhubarb pie-- definitely whipping this up for her next visit {we've seen rhubarb at the farmer's market lately & I've been wanting to pick some up but wasn't sure about a recipe!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! I think your crust looks great and I'm a huge fan of crumble tops too though I've never actually baked a pie - oh, I shouldn't admit that, huh? ;)

    But if you share a blackberry pie I might have to try it. Andrew loves blackberries so much it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strawberry Rhubarb is my favorite pie! I have good memories of picking rhubarb and making pie with my grandma. We always add vanilla ice cream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are the peanut butter to my jelly!